Have you heard about Earth Hour? Are you going to participate? I am, and we are planning the how.
We are a pretty “green” house and for the next 4 weeks I will talk about going green.
This week lets talk water. It is a necessity of life after all. So how can we save on the cheap and be green? It is about changing habits.
Here are some ways we have done it here in the city:
1.Dont run water while brushing teeth
2. Installed low usage shower head and faucet. Here in Toronto you can purchase a kit from the city for $15.
3. We don’t have a dishwasher but when we did we didn’t prewash dishes. Now we don’t leave water running to rinse.
4.We only wash FULL loads of clothes.
1.We sweep our walk we don’t hose it.
2. We water roots not leaves in the garden.
3. We don’t water our grass.
These are just a few ways that we conserve and save money too.
Now I am off to Rocks in My Dryer to see what is working elsewhere this week.
Many of you may know that going as green (envirment friendly) has been one of my major tasks for the last two years..
This year I stepped it up a bit. I got cloth bags that i picked up for $.99 each at my local grocery store. No more $.05 a bag each time I shop and I help the enviroment too.
I bought reusable containers at the dollar store for Roo’s lunch, so no more plastic baggies or juicebox garbage.
By doing little things like these I find that going green and being cheap go hand in hand.
Now off to read what is working for everyone else this week over at Rocks in My Dryer .
Yesterday over at The Lucky Cannuck I wrote about Valentine’s day and being lucky in love even though I am a solo parent. Today for me a
cheap frugal parent there are lots of ways to make tomorrow special for my daughter and me….I think this year I spent $5 for the day.
1. First shhh..but she will wake up to her favorite breakfast of waffles and at her spot in the table she will find a wee present from mom —I used a left over clay pot, filled it with jelly beans and heart shaped lollipops both bought at the dollar store..it looks like a plant! Also from the dollar store was the cutes lil heart purse so she is getting that too. I made her card.
2.For dinner we will actually be doing something different then I had planned on the menu. We are having one of OUR fav meals —Lasagna.
3. To take care of me and show me some love–after she goes to bed well it is ME time..a nice bubble bath, and a good read are in store.
There are lots of ways to celebrate the day and be frugal at the same time and include the kids. One of the themes we are doing all month so we can really see the love in this house is to document it on our LOVE WALL. When we catch each other being loving and kind we cut out a read heart and write a note sharing what we saw..we then put this up on our love wall( we have one wall dedicated to hearts).
So how are you celebrating tomorrow? Don’t forget that ecards are a great way to show lots of people a little love! Now off to Dont Try This At Home to see what is working for everyone else today.