Often we have to stretch when we choose to live on less. For me the area I find me stretching in the most is my food budget. Gone are the days of ordering in or take out so how do I stretch my money in a city where food prices are well lets put it this way: in the US I fed a family of 5 on the same amount.So what are my strategies:
1. Shop flyers for the loss leaders. These here in Canada seem to cycle about every 8-12 weeks. So that means I know I can get 24 rolls of toilet paper for $3.99 after my dollar off coupon every 8 to 12 weeks so I get it when it is at that price.
2. Collect and share coupons. I use both Save.ca and Frugal Shopper for coupons and if you are really a good collector you can trade or even get on a coupon train.
3. Menu Plan: I like to plan on Monday mornings for my week, using what I have in the house..things bought from flyer’s or my staple list.So how does $200 get spent:
1 have 4 basic areas
- Meat and eggs: here I spend no more then $50 a month and it stretches for about 20 meals, and includes deli meat for lunches
- Fruit+Veggies: here I spend about $40 for a mix of fresh and frozen( I usually buy seasonal and on sale).
- The Basics: or as some would call them dry goods..here I spend about $60
- Leaving $30 for the fillers: cookies, chips, baking supplies etc.
With $20 left over for milk!
So that is how I live on less in the grocery store.
Today I am thankful that up here the school week is over and I get some Roo time in yeah!
September 2020 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- Add new tag blessings Blog blogging books catholic church cheap choice Christmas chritmas tip church comment contest contesting contests conversations cooking craft idea debate earth hour education faith family fire food free freebie Freebies frugal frugal lifestyle frugaltip frugal tip fun give away giving going green go to site gratitude green grocery shopping Halloween health healthy How to introduction isagenix loves memories menu Menu Monday menu planning money NaBlo news opinion personal political comment reading recipe recipes religion saving shopping site recommendation special needs thanksgiving Toronto TTC volunteer WFMW win WWFMW